Lists that appear in running copy and are introduced with the word "including" do not require a colon. Use of a terminal comma (a comma that precedes the final "and") is not necessary except to avoid confusion.
Without a terminal comma:
- Huskie Athletics supports a number of university sports including football, basketball and volleyball.
With a terminal comma to avoid confusion caused by two "ands":
- Huskie Athletics supports a number of university sports including football, basketball, track and field, and volleyball.
Lists that appear in running text and follow a colon should have semicolons.
- Huskie Athletics supports a number of university sports: football;
basketball; volleyball; and track and field.
Try to avoid bulleted vertical lists in running copy but if the context requires the information be highlighted, they should be introduced with a complete sentence followed by a colon. No internal or terminal punctuation is required. Do not capitalize the first word of bulleted items in a vertical list unless it is a proper noun.
The lecture series will cover a number of subject areas:
- political history of the province
- economic development
Use internal and terminal punctuation if the list is not preceded by a complete sentence.
Students in the class can expect to learn about
- political history of the province,
- economic development, and